This is Me

No Description Necessary

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

It's Party Time!

About two months ago I started receiving email blasts advertising New Year's Eve parties, so I decided to ask my three single friends (note the small number of single friends - b/c everyone has somebody except me) to go to one and each one of them said, "I can't. I'll be in church."

Oooooookay.

Church. Well, if that's what you want to do.

Now I'm sure all of you are now thinking that I'm an atheist or at least a heathen, but I am the total opposite. I praise the Lord EVERYDAY for all His blessings. I love my church and am there almost every Sunday, including Bible study during the week. I read the Bible on my own and am happy that my relationship with the Lord has grown so much.

But that doesn't mean I want to be in church on New Year's Eve.

I want to be at a party in a fabulous dress with a glass of champagne in one hand, getting my groove on to all the hot music from the entire year until the countdown, at which time I'll scream "Happy New Year!" at the top of my lungs and have confetti thrown on me.

I've never been to a New Year's Eve party before and don't go out much on weekends, so I was looking forward to dancing my tail off.

But since they all said they couldn't go, I figured I'd try the church thing too. I'd never been to a Watch Night service before either and I wanted to see what it was like since people go every year. As I said before, I love my church, so I wasn't too disappointed.

I enter the city auditorium to the sound of my church's BOMB choir around 10 pm. They sing until 11, a guest singer performs until 11:20, and then my pastor gets up for the lesson. I get out my Bible and notebook to prepare for the message.

I'm taking notes and listening to what he has to say (08 is the year of an overflow of blessings, which is something I'm waiting for) but after a while I notice people walking out. I look at my watch.

Hmmmm. It's 12:05.

And the pastor's still talking.

We've lived to see a BRAND NEW year (which, imo, should be a major celebration) and yet no one seems to know that it's after midnight.

So..... that's it? No countdown? No screams of "Hallelujah!" and "Thank you, Jesus!" when the clock strikes twelve? No people dressed up as angels on cords flying through the air???

I was expecting a major production. This was like a regular service on Sunday.

When I told people I wanted to go to a party they acted like I was a murderer for not wanting to be at church.

Me: "I thought about going to a party for New Year's Eve."
Them: "You're not going to go to church? Hmmmm....."

(Really? When are people going to get over that? Living at church is not a requirement of being a Christian so stop with the "concerned looks" when I say I'd rather not go to church at 11, stay until 1, eat lunch in the church basement, and then stay from 3 to 5 for the afternoon service. Stop the madness!)

I didn't have any plans and would have rather not been in the house by myself during the countdown, so I went to church to experience a Watch Night Service.

Now I've experienced one.

And next year.... I want to be at a party.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger The Movement said…

    I feel you completely on this. My friends went to church as well. They go every year. I would have liked to be at a house party. I've done the big New Years party and they've been over price and overrated. But it's never fun to be alone on New Years. But I made the best of it. Happy New Year!!

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous MWAH said…

    Girl....you know weve pretty much already talked about alllllll ur blogs~! lol.....KUDOS! HILARIOUS! Yeah....I missed that countdown too! NOT NEXT YEAR HONEY! Okay but u did forget after the countdown and the confetti falls on your face SOMEONE TO KISS WOULD BE NICE! HEHEHE....Well oops were not talking about that per the other blog! lol....

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh...Its ya sawrah and friend....BRANDY...aka..mwah! Im sooo silly...

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Lachelle said…

    HI Soror-

    This was a great entry. I feel you becaue I too am a Christian growing spiritually everyday HOWEVER, I wanted to listen to some hot music and kick it on the last day of 07. So we actually did all 3 - dinner with friends, early church service (7pm) and rang in the new year at a pseudo-house party :-)

    Welcome to 2008!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home