This is Me

No Description Necessary

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ignorance Is Bliss

As thousands of protesters descend on Jena, Louisiana today and tomorrow to protest the judicial mistreatment of 6 Black boys, I sit here and say to myself, "I don't want to think about this. I can't deal with this."

It's too much to think about having to deal with facing a possible 22 years in jail just because a judge, a few lawyers, an an almost entire population of a city don't like the color of my skin.

I try to put myself in others' situations to check myself, keeping me thankful for what I have, but to put myself in those boys' situations is so overwhelming that I just shut down.

I don't want to have to think about being in that situation. I'd rather go back to complaining about how much I need a vacation than thinking they could be my cousins, my brothers, me.

I don't want to. But I have to.

I'm Black.

Too many people came before me and died so that I'll be able to sit here and do work that brings me joy instead of cleaning someone else's house and baby-sitting someone else's kids because that's the only job I'm "allowed" to have.

Very few people actually think racism doesn't exist, but it is so easy to forget while you go about your every day lives.

You go to the grocery store and the white teenager smiles at you as he bags your groceries.

You see an older white woman and she says "Hello" as you two pass each other.

You go into an expensive store in the mall and you DON'T get followed while you shop.

And then you hear about a black boy getting beat up because he sat down underneath a tree for "whites only."

You start screaming "WHY?" and think to yourself, "I can't deal with this."

And then you remember that your parents, your grandparents, went through this EVERY DAMN DAY of their lives.

Deep down I know that racism will always exist and Black people will always have to work harder than everyone else just to be on the same level, but sometimes when the racism slaps you in the face and wakes you up, you can't help but to ask God why.

We all know that life isn't fair but dammit if it doesn't seem like Black people ALWAYS get the worst of it.

ALWAYS!!!!!!!!

It's so heartbreaking to know that we won't EVER be free of racism UNTIL we're all dead.

What kind of comfort is that?

1 Comments:

  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger The Movement said…

    You have managed to put into words what I haven't found the words to say. People love to think that we are in this racial utopia. I think people are so afraid of what they will be perceived as if they call out racism or prejudice acts. It's time to stop being PC and be honest. That's the only way change will ever happen, if it is to happen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home