This is Me

No Description Necessary

Friday, January 19, 2007

"That Age" p. 2

-continued from last Friday-

Yeah, I'm still single. If you read my blog, you'd know. I've discussed the topic before. You might be thinking, "When is she going to STOP talking about being single??!!" Maybe if people STOP asking me when I'm going to have kids, it won't be on my mind as much!

Just the other day I was having a conversation with a guy who feels it's his duty to remind me (every time we talk) that the older I get, the greater the risk of having a complicated pregnancy and/or a child with health problems.

For some reason, he doesn't understand why that conversation pisses me off. "I'm just making a comment." he says. Comment, my a$$!

What do you want me to do? Go to a sperm bank??? Would that appease you?

Probably not, because then you would scold me about having a child out of wedlock.

Some women have that need to have kids at an early age (a la Britney Spears) but I have no desire to be a young mom.

Wait... young mom?

Well, I guess I am past that *young mom* age. When it comes to my body and children I'm not so young. (According to some bootleg scientific study, your body's chances of conceiving drastically plunge once you get on the other side of 25. Now because of it, women reaching *that age* are running out and trying to get pregnant with every Joe Schmoe off the street. You know - anything to slow down my biological clock!) But in my eyes, I'm still young. I haven't done enough for ME yet. I haven't had enough FUN FOR ME yet. Children are a BIG responsibility, a responsibility that I DO NOT WANT right now, even if I was married. I'm barely scraping by for one, and you want me to add another JUST BECAUSE I'm closing in on 30? You planning on pay my bills?

Seriously, though - I'm waiting on the Lord. If He wanted me to have kids by now, I'd be married. God will bless me with kids when He decides I'm ready. So stop asking me!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've definitely been in your shoes. Unfortunately, it does not get better because once you get married people immediately expect you to get pregnant. Can I take a moment to actually enjoy being married first? It's especially hard when your biological clock is ticking very loudly and your married friends are popping out kids left and right or planning to do soon. But I've finally realized I that I can't live up to other's expectations and I have to do what's best for me.

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Your friend Tiffany in Nashville said…

    One thing I've learned during the transition from teen to adulthood is that our (female's) lives are full of questions about "when." They start from "when are you going have your period," on to "when will you get your first boyfriend" to "when are you going to lose your virginity" to "when will you get married" (yeah, i intentionally ordered them in that way because that's how "they" expect it to happen) then "when will you have kids" then "when do you think you'll go through 'the change'" "when are they going to give you some grandkids." We as women can never escape the question of "when" our life changes will occur. It's not right or fair but I guess I've gotten used to it and simply hit the mental "ignore" button in my head.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home