This is Me

No Description Necessary

Friday, January 12, 2007

"That Age" p. 1

I'm at *that age* now where people look at me and my "single with no kids" status and start to wonder.....

They ask themselves, "Why isn't she married yet? By the time I was her age I had a baby sucking from each breast, a toddler on each hip, and a kid hanging onto each leg, and on top of all that I cooked, cleaned, and gave it to my man every night! These young thangs don't know how to multi-task!"

Even though more of my generation, male and female, are waiting to get married, older folks still feel that if you're not married by 30 you'll never get married, and they REALLY don't want me to be single (read: alone) for the rest of my life. So the calls start coming....

"I work with a single man your age." says my aunt. "Can I give him your number?"

Now when the first aunt said this about a year ago, I was hesitant. Her version of *attractive* may not be the same as mine, and who wants to be set up with an ugly man???

He called. And we hit it off. At first. He made me laugh (which is SUCH a big plus) but he had the habit of mixing up conversations he had with other females with me, which pissed me off. (Me: "What are you doing this weekend?" Him: "Didn't we already talk about this yesterday?" Me: "We didn't talk yesterday.") I don't care about you dating other women, but don't mix us up.

Seriously.

But that's neither here nor there. Even though a "hook-up" worked out at first, it still didn't make me more open to the idea of family members passing out my number. To me, that says, "She can't get a man on her own, so her family is going to do it for her."

I don't want to look desperate.

But that was over a year ago. And I haven't had a date since.

So when another aunt gave me that call a few months ago, I said "Sure!"

He didn't call.

Grrrr......

I guess he was the one who thought I looked desperate..... If my aunt had given it to him directly, it might have been okay. But my aunt gave it to his mom. Two adults playing matchmaker for their *kids*.... not so much. I'm sure he wasn't too happy when mom came to visit with more than a plant as a housewarming gift..... "Son, I saw a picture of this girl I want you to meet....."

- to be continued -

1 Comments:

  • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Girl, WHO are you telling? I got ppl in the fam that KEEP asking me when am I gonna get married? I'm like 'hell, find me a decent brotha that I can stand after 30min and you got it.' lol!! Its hard, cuz.

    La

     

Post a Comment

<< Home