This is Me

No Description Necessary

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Can You Smell What I'm Cooking?

I didn't jump on the eyebrow waxing bandwagon until recently. I think I was in some way boycotting getting them arched because it was just ANOTHER PAINFUL thing women do to themselves in order to look good while men sit on the couch all day and look like a sasquatch. Women get pretty much all hair waxed/shaved/lasered off their entire bodies on a regular basis (because the hair does come back) but what do men do? They MIGHT shave, but other than that, their beauty ritual consists of slapping some soap on and taking a shower.

I gave in when a co-worker raved about this particular place about two months ago. My eyebrows turned out better than okay. She did an excellent job. I was admiring myself in the mirror every chance I got. It's amazing how something as simple as an eyebrow wax can make your face look so much different. She made an arch where there is no arch (my eyebrows aren't bushy and already have a slight arch; the arch just needed to be shaped up. It's not like I was walking around with a unibrow or anything). When it came time to get them waxed again, i went to the same place.

As the same girl is about to start on me, she passes me off to someone else since a nail customer has come in.

Okay, no big deal. She should probably do as good a job as the other girl, right?

Oh so wrong.

First I ask for a new stick (they use popsicle sticks to apply the wax). She looks at me crazy and says "They're all the same."

Uhhhh, NO they aren't. I want a NEW one. I don't want the same stick you used on the previous 50 million customers. Not everyone washes their face before coming to get a wax, so whatever is on that person's face is on that stick. (Actually, since they double dip, the germs are also IN the wax, but I'm going to try not to think about that.) Plus I have sensitive skin. All you have to do is LOOK at me the wrong way and I break out, so I'd rather not have all those germs on my face from other peoples' faces. Just give me the new stick.

Since she didn't get all the hair after the first application, she puts wax on the same place AGAIN. That causes me to get extra red. (One time - at band camp - the lady waxing me kept applying to the same area and ended up burning me.) As she goes for the third application, I stop her and say "Please don't wax me in the same area too many times because I have sensitive skin and I will get extra red."

Her response is: "I know how to do eyebrows. If you do it right, you won't get red. I know how to do it."

Did I ask for any lip? WTH? Whatever happened to the customer is always right? Just do what I ask.

I guess she figured she'd better stop waxing, so she takes out her tweezers to get the hair she didn't get the first, second, or THIRD times (the wax CLEARLY wasn't as hot as it needed to be since she needed to wax the same area 3 times). I'm not happy because I don't like using tweezers on my face. Not only do I break out often, I also have a hyper-pigmentation problem, so I try to keep foreign objects that can cause stress away from my face (yeah, I didn't inherit great skin). So now I'm really pissed.

When it's time for me to pay she gets all nice with her smiles and "Thank you's". Uh-uh! It's too late now, chick. Your tip went out the door the moment you gave me attitude!

I get home and look in the mirror again, making sure I'm not TOO red, and lo and behold my eyebrows are lopsided.

WTF???!!!

I thought she "knew" how to do eyebrows?? (I did look in the mirror while I was still there, but I was incredibly pissed and ready to go; I was paying more attention to how red my face was rather than the shaping.)

THIS is another reason I didn't want to jump on the eyebrow bandwagon. If someone messes up, you are SOL until they grow back.

Yesterday was the first waxing I've had in the last month and a half! (Why it takes that long for the hair to grow back is beyond me.) Now I've got to walk around like I'm The Rock asking if you can smell what I'm cooking for the next 45 days!

Okay. It's not that bad. You can't really tell if you're not staring at my face, and like my mother always said, "If they're looking at you that closely they must love you."

So if you don't love me, don't look at me too long. I might get a little upset.....

2 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Soror,

    LOL!!! I completely understand your disappointment with your eyebrows. About 2 to 3 months ago, I went to get my eyebrows done. This is not the usual person that I go to, but I have been to her before. She did a pretty good job for me the couple of times when I couldn’t make it all the way to the person that I normally go to. This time, just like in your case, the lady was in a hurry to do someone's nails. I tell you, this lady burned the mess out of me. I know that i have sensitive skin, but damned. My face was on FIYA (fire). Red wasn’t even the word. It was more like purple. She knew that she flubbed up because she kept trying to wipe them with alcohol (which only added fuel to the fire) and (check this out) LOTION!!!! I was sooooo mad. Then the lady got ghost. She disappeared into the back and wouldn’t come out. My mother saw my face and immediately said, LETS GO. She knew that I was pissed beyond return. I don’t know if the wax was too hot or if she pulled the skin off my face, but the next day I had scabs under both my eyebrows, puffiness and a little bruising. And to top it all off, she didn’t get all of the hair off. People were like, who hit you? Who scratched you? What happened to your face? And of course the gee-to of the ghetto had to say, tell that nigga to stop slapping you around. I had to hold cold packs over my eyes to soothe some of the pain. I still have the pictures in my cell phone from this ordeal and I am still touchy over it. When I went to show her, she made every excuse in the book on why it wasn’t her fault and why it couldn’t have possibly happened. Now, she doesn’t even look my way whenever I go to that nail shop (yes I still go because the guy that does my feet does an excellent job). She avoids me at all cost. She probably thinks that I am going to try to sue her, but I’m cool. I just learned a valuable lesson.

    Eyebrow waxing...............$7.00
    First-aid ointment...........$4.00
    Make-up to cover scars.......$30.00
    Lesson Learned (I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever cheat on my eyebrow stylist again. I have learned my lesson) ..................Priceless

    Sisterly yours,
    Soror Kristina B

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Kuntrygirl said…

    Girl, I am also also a new comer to the eyebrow waxing world and the way you describe your eyebrows are the same way mine are. U are so right i was instantly hooked when i saw the difference that that one thing made! You handled the situation way better than I did though because it would have been on if it was me! once again I really enjoy your blog and admire your consistency with it! thanks for visiting my site!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home