This is Me

No Description Necessary

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Why Are You Talking to Me?

One thing I like about the south is that people are so friendly. I like the "How are you today?" questions and the smiles from strangers when I walk into the store. It happens so often down here that your local KKK member probably smiles at me out of habit.... (It's so much of a habit that I smile at people I don't like. As soon as I make eye contact, the corners of my mouth turn upward and it's not until a split second AFTER I smile does it register in my brain that I don't like the person. Doggone it! Now that person thinks we're friends!)

I was in a Wendy's restroom last week when my mother and I met a mom and daughter traveling from Houston. When my mom and I got outside, the husband/father was talking to my dad. Just started up a random conversation. I like that.... sometimes....

I'd prefer a smile and nod over a conversation, but sometimes you just click with another person and end up talking about randomness. Usually, that's cool, as long as the conversation isn't LONG.

Him: "Good morning. How are you today?"

Me: "I'm doing well. Thank you. How are you?"

Her: "Boy that shirt is expensive!"

Me: "I know, girl. The Gap acts like money grows on trees!*

Him: "It's so hot outside!"

Me: "That's exactly why I don't like going outside. I'm an 'indoor' girl" *insert laughter*

Him: "My cat Jerry did this amazing back flip yesterday! Let me pull out my pictures!"

-- hold up --

Your cat? WTH?

Do I look like I care about your cat?

------

Me: "How old is your son?"

Her: "3 months. Let me bring out the pictures...."

UGH. I brought that one on myself.....

Him: "I like your car. Do you get good gas mileage?"

Me: "Thanks. Yes I do."

Him: "You know, I've always wanted that type of car. Been thinking about getting one for a long time now. My neighbor bought one last week......"

"&$#@! Stop talking to me!"

I think I'm a mixture of north and south. I like how slow the south is, but I have very little patience. I like giving "Good Mornings" to random people, but I don't care about the antics of Jerry the cat. I like 5-minute conversations about how hot it is or how expensive gas is, but I don't care to know about what your cousin's sister's college roommate did last week. Just give me a smile, and in the words of T.I., "Keep it moving, shawty. Keep it moving."

3 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hilarious.....I am one of those "random conversation" type people!!!! hahaha

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As always, so out of control... LOL

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ok like, i'm feeling the smiles and the nods. breed in the south, when i was temporarily residing up north i took that "smile & speak w/eye contact" with me and made the environment adapt. however, i guess that country gurl in me can enjoy a random 10 min, shoot the breeze chat with a local, excluding pet infatuation. i have found that sometimes angels entertain us that way. ;) ya feel me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home